On Saturday August 9th in Couer de’ Laine , Idaho, Shannon Van Oppen completed her first triathlon, Olympic distance, in 4hours and 1minute! Shannon has been training at The Exercise Space for just over a year now and has made amazing gains in transforming herself back into the athlete she once knew herself to be. Wanting to keep Shannon company through this journey I joined her in the triathlon. We rose at 4:30am Saturday morning to make sure we had enough time to pour ourselves into our so small wet suits…double checked our transition area, and headed to the water’s edge for our 7am start time. Just before entering the clouds let loose and the biggest rain drops I have ever seen bounced off of us. Then in we went – what a surreal experience with the rain splattering the water’s surface and swimming with 1400 other bathing cap clad people. A kick in the face, or a head in the side is very common when sharing water space… all heading to the same buoy. No worries, the swim was over before we knew it, in 33 minutes! We dizzily trekked back to transition to peel off our wet suits, grab our sneakers, and onto our bikes we were for the very hilly 25 mile bike ride. Luckily we were often distracted from the hills by the generous views of the lake along the way. Shannon made it up every hill, and did not stop or walk once. 2 hours later we were back in transition ditching our bikes and heading out for the 6.2 mile run. Although Shannon’s knee was not cooperating she still managed to finish the run and complete her first triathlon ever! An amazing experience for me to watch her accomplish this goal, as words cannot describe how proud of her I am. Shannon, you rock!
- Try These Four Things…: [...] 4) Prepare your favorite dishes, just ‘healthier’. What do I mean by healthier? Start by checking out an earlier ...
- Mark: Great points. Very helpful.
- rachel: Thanks for posting this, Dawn! I can't wait until the half-marathon in June!
- Mark: As an amateur athlete, I have found that training for funtional fitness has helped keep my injuries down. Also, when ...
- Mark: This is a truly amazing story. Great job, Bob! Dawn, is doing it again!
- Mark: Way to go Shannon, Ross and Dawn!
- LE: Oh lordy--congrats!
- LE: I also love cheese. Oh so much. I've found that the individually packaged string cheeses are ...
- Tara Kawczynski: I love cheese! Now I'm informed on what kinds are best for me, thanks.
- dsprinkle: This is really good information, Dawn. Thanks for the research. I always went by the "rule" that white ...
- Mark: This is a very informative post. I like how you give us the data and the mindset to be healthy ...
- Tara Kawczynski: That's really scary to see the facts, good detective work.
- Tara Kawczynski: Wow! Cool photos You have to be quite an amazing rider to just get up and continue on racing.
- Tara Kawczynski: Looks like fun, I wish I could have joined
- Tara Kawczynski: Good luck Shannon! I'm so glad your finally getting to accomplish a dream of yours, and with Dawn by your ...
Our Location – Let’s Coordinate!
The Exercise Space
Contact us to determine locations and times that are convenient for you!
CONTACT EMAIL-> click here
Exercise Space Video Blog
* Mouse over video for more episode choices. * HD available in fullscreen.