Motivation can be a major hurdle at times. There will always be a reason to start tomorrow…next week…when you return from vacation…after you move, etc. The list goes on and on.
Start by asking yourself these simple questions:
- Where did my motivation go?
- What do I want more – that piece of cake or to be in shape?
- What is preventing me from making the daily commitment?
- When did I lose my motivation?
- Why do I want to be fit?
- How do I feel when I don’t exercise or eat healthy?
- What little changes can I make to reclaim my motivation?
Life is not going to stop for you if you pick a ‘start date’. There will always be distractions and reasons not to make the time to exercise. The french fries will always call your name. But don’t beat yourself up – it is natural for our motivation to peak and dip. The best we can do is try to figure out why we lost it and mix things up to try and find it again. Maybe you wore it out, maybe a life transition ate it up, or maybe you simply are bored!
It is an ongoing challenge to be motivated to keep fit and make healthy choices.
Until you find it again…
- A 10 minute lunch time walk is a good start.
- Get off the bus a couple stops early and walk the rest of the way.
- Enjoy a mid day stretch.
- Walk around the block and enjoy the sunset.
- Go to the zoo (lots of walking involved!)
- Seek out an Art Walk
Get up. Right now. Do something – walk up and down the stairs, do a few jumping jacks, walk circles in your apartment – no excuses.
Nice job, you are back on your way.